HDD and CDROM access hogs CPU

Hi all...

I've got something of a problem with my IDE controller (VIA 686B southbridge).
Whenever I do anything that requires data transfer from one of the devices on
it, system load goes to 2 or above while top doesn't show any serious CPU
usage by any task; record was a load of 2.5 for copying a file off a CD with
top showing a CPU usage of around 10%.

Everything I look at (/proc,/ide/via, hdparm, ...) shows DMA enabled for all
devices. What's going on?

I'm running a self-compiled 2.4.20 kernel with support for the chipset enabled
and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI and CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO set.

--
Got Backup?