Using exim4 with fetchmail warning

Hi,

I've just found that the default exim4 configuration (exim4 4.20-1 deb package) comes with no smtp_accept_queue_per_connection value.

So exim4 default, which is 10, is taken as a value. So if you have a dialup connection, and fectchmail retrieves more that 10 messages in one smtp connection, then exim4 will kindly deliver the first 10 messages, and the store the rest of them in /var/spool/exim4/input/

To deliver this "lost" messages, use exim4 -ql

So you should set smtp_accept_queue_per_connection to a higher value if you are in this case (I use 1000). I did put this in /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/02_exim4-config_options.

The risk, as I understand it, is a deny of service attack... but if it's a dialup machine, I guess it's no big deal. Another way would be to run a script with exim4 -ql on a regular basis.

I hope this will save some of you the loss of some maybe important or urgent messages.... Maybe a warning could be put in debian's package doc ?

Best regards to all debianers,

Franck Routier