Re: New packages

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 01:08:59AM +0100, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> I've found a rather useful little app that doesn't appear to be in the
> distribution yet.  How can I go about getting it in there?  I have
> looked through the Debian policy page, but couldn't find what I was
> looking for.

  http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp

(The information there is mainly written for a developer audience, so
you might need to read the documentation on the bug tracking system
first.)

> The other thing is that clearly it would need to go into unstable
> first?

Yes.

> And I run Woody all the way.  Does this mean that someone else would
> need to maintain the package?

Probably, although I'm not sure how that follows from your previous
statement. If it were just a matter of getting the thing built for
upload, you could build an unstable chroot to do that. For installing it
on your system, as long as the package doesn't use bleeding-edge build
system features (none of mine do, last time I checked), you could
backport it fairly easily to woody.

Certainly, if you're keen, you'd be welcome to apply to join the project
and do it yourself. However, that takes some time and implies a level of
long-term commitment, so if it's just a matter of getting this one
program packaged it would be easier to file an RFP and see if any
existing developers are interested in picking up the package.

Cheers,