Re: cron & cannot open display

Elie De Brauwer wrote:

On Sunday 20 July 2003 12:17, David selby wrote:
Hello

I have been trying to get cron to execute programs at set times,
As a test I am trying to execute dillo (loads fast!) I setup cron as
user testbed to execute dillo every five mins,
I get the following ......

From testbed@debian Sun Jul 20 11:10:01 2003

       for <testbed@debian>; Sun, 20 Jul 2003 11:10:01 +0100
From: root@debian (Cron Daemon)
To: testbed@debian
Subject: Cron <testbed@debian> /usr/X11R6/bin/dillo
Sender: CronDaemon <testbed@debian>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 11:10:01 +0100

Setting locale to C

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

OK so i know its something to do with $DISPLAY, I tried setting
DISPLAY=:0.0 in a shell then execute dillo, no go ...

I know cron works AOK on non x programs

Can anyone advise ?

Dave

Normally an x program should obey to the -display flag for example if you switch to console, login as root and type
xterm -display :0
A root xterm should appear on you X display. I've tried it with dillo here but dillo just ignores the flag (not implemented yet ?). So try it with a more basic X application like xterm, xclock, xbill ;) ... those should work when you specify the -display flag but first test it from console to verify it works.

hth
Elie De Brauwer

Many thanks, seems to work on simpler apps, not so on the big ones, ie mozilla ...
Dave