Re: SSL on Apache

Thus spake Francisco Castellon:
> Hello list:
>
> I am wanting to use SSL on apache and I am a bit confused as to how to
> go about it. I know that I could use CPAN to install mod_ssl but then is

CPAN is an archive for Perl modules.  An Apache module != a Perl module.

> that all I need or is that the best route to go? I also saw that Debian
> has a package (Apt-cache show) called Apache-ssl but then there is also
> a library package called openssl. SO I don't know which way to go. As

apache-ssl is a version of Apache with SSL support linked in at
compile-time rather than through the DSO mechanism.  The openssl package
provides the openssl binary and related cryptographic tools.

> well, if I were to install apache-ssl which is the one that looks like
> it has everything would that conflict with the apache configuration I
> have already since I already installed php4?

You likely want to install libapache-mod-ssl, and modify your Apache
configuration to load the module.

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

To be a man's own fool is bad enough; but the vain man is everybody's.
- William Penn