Re: [RFC] Initialisation of ssh-agent

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:06:08 -0500, Ryan Nowakowski wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 07:10:50PM +0200, HdV@DTO.TUDelft.NL wrote:
> > Currently I am writing a piece on the why and how of setting up SSH2 for
> > public key authentication. For now it is in Dutch, but an English
> > version will follow later on. In this document I want to show a couple
> > of examples of starting ssh-agent from ~/.xsession, ~/.profile or
> > ~/.login.
>
> Take a look at keychain.  It's the best way to start ssh-agent.

According to the description, it prompts the user for passphrases
as soon as it runs, which may be annnoying when one wants to connect
to a machine, do a few things (without needing ssh) and disconnect.

I wrote some zsh scripts to start ssh-agent if one is not running,
and call ssh-add only when needed (ssh, slogin and scp are wrappers).
The ssh-agent is killed when it isn't needed any longer (but this
doesn't work very well with screen, perhaps unless one chooses to
make all shells login shells).

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International des