Re: How does a distro born?

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 10:14, Valter G. Nogueira Jr. wrote:
> I know this question is a little off-topic and with a broad scope.
>
> And I am not interested in set up a new distro.
>
> The fact is: I really want to know and perhaps be able to setup a
> ultra-mini-distro just to tell myself: I did it.
>
> I guess that thousands of people would enjoy that.
>
> I read Linux From Scratch but that is not a distro build guide.

Linux From Scratch is a walk-thru of creating a running system - not a distribution.

> What is a distro?
>
> I could define a distro as a bootable media (using ISOLINUX perhaps) which
> boot a linux kernel configured to run a installer, which in turns runs
> several steps from partitioning disks and coping files (packages) to initial
> config (video, networking, etc).

Debatable, I install Debian from debootstrap - all it does is copys the
most basic system onto a partition so you can setup from there.  I think
I'd best describe a distro as a set of programs (including the kernel &
such) that have already had the necessary touches added so they can just
drop-in and live together (be this as pre-built packages as with Debian,
rpm or Slackware, or scripted compiles as with BSD ports and gentoo's
portage).

> So, what do I need to know (and where could I find that information) to set
> up such thing?

Linux From Scratch is actually a good start here ..

> Do I need to be a kernel master?

If you plan on distributing your distro, it'd help that you could
configure the default kernel to support as much as possible - otherwise
if you can build your kernel, you're set ..

> Is there any site trying to solve the great mysteries of life such:
>     How does a distro born? or

IMHO all this takes is knowledge of a packaging system: build a system
ala Linux From Scratch, then within it, set about building packages of
each program you installed away. Install them over the top of the
existing system, and if it worked, you'll have a foothold from which to
start building more packages, updating those you have, etc.  Eventually
you'll need to start trouble-shooting, with both program errors and
packaging errors, as the more you add, the more work making it all Just
Work will be.
  To make this a good distro rather than simply a working distro, you
need rules - along the lines of Debian's social contract & packaging
guides - so that there's overall quality and consistency to your
packages.

And of course, an installer will become helpful if you wish others to
beable to use it :o)

>     How does a kernel born?
>
> In the way, I am looking for good literature about kernels and operating
> systems.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Valter

http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/sigops/roll_your_own/