Re: Remounting / as RW

"Ahmed Charles" <ahmedcharles@hotmail.com> writes:

> I've found myself with allittle problem and I was wondering how to
> remount /(root) read-write instead of read-only after booting with
> "init=/bin/sh". This would help allot, thanks.

You need to use mount(8) with the 'remount' option to change the mount
flags, and also tell mount to not try to write to /etc/mtab (since /
isn't writable at that point).  So the magic invocation is

  mount / -n -o remount,rw

Make sure to remount the filesystem readonly before you power down or
reboot, though.

	-- Abra Mitchell