Network on boot question

Hi!

I am running Woody on my laptop and I have two network interfaces. I
have a built-in 3Com NIC, and sometimes I use my Linksys wireless card
instead.

If I don't have the card in, it doesn't start the card manager, which
is fine. But if I do have the card in (and therefore no network cable
connected to the NIC), Debian hangs for a LONG time trying to start
the network interface.

Now, I realize that this is just Debian looking for a network to
connect to, probably searching for a DHCP server, but how can I make
it take less time? Is there a timeout somewhere?

I hate waiting a whole minute before Debian realizes there is nothing
there to connect to. The other odd thing is that it prints the first
line of a PING command toward my home network gateway IP (which fails,
of course). It doesn't do this if the network is initialized properly.

Let me know if you want to see any of my init.d scripts, I don't even
know where to start.

--
Aaron Bieber
-