Re: 2 NICs and the source ip address

Thomas,

Thomas Gebhardt <gebhardt@HRZ.Uni-Marburg.DE> [2003-07-17 09:47]:
> it is possible to use NAT to do that. My question is, however: is it
> really necessary to use such a heavyweight tool for such a simple
> setup:
>
> 1. Host has 2 NICs
> 2. No forwarding between the two NICs
> 3. Just ensure that an ip packet leaving the host gets the
>    ip address of the corresponding NIC
>

> I'll try some ASCII art:
>

>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                   /                                     \
>                  (                 LAN                   )
>                   \                                     /
>                     ------------------------------------
>                    |                                    |
>                    |                                    |
>              ------------                         ------------
>              |   eth0   |                         |    eth0  |
>              |          |                         |          |
>     host A   |          |                         |          | host B
>              |          |    dedicated line       |          |
>              |      eth1|-------------------------|eth1      |
>              ------------ 10.0.0.1       10.0.0.2 ------------

It depends on your routing configuration where the packets go to.
Could you send the output of

ip route show  -- or -- route -n

ifconfig -a

You can send the infos to me personally if you do not want them to
appear on the web.

> Isn't point 3. a reasonable demand? It seems natural to me and should
> be easy to accomplish, shouldn't it? How do I ensure that the
> src ip address of packages running through eth1 of host A is 10.0.0.1?

Depending on your configuration, they should.  However, it depends on
your host configuration, i.e. where packets are sent from.  Usually,
your host-name is resolved for the IP address (IIRC).  Thus, the node
itself is identified by one IP address only.  Can you send the tcpdump
-i eth1 for a couple of simple pings?

wbr,
Lukas
--
Lukas Ruf           | Wanna know anything about raw |
<http://www.lpr.ch> | IP?  <http://www.rawip.org>   |