apt problem

Hi all,

I am now running the Woody XFree86 backport.  I then thought I'd be a
nutter and go for Gnome 2.2 as well.  But Gnome didn't want to install,
perhaps I should have removed something first, so I backed it out.

I think some crud is left somewhere - I need to install debhelper but
can't:

brain:~# apt-get install debhelper
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  debhelper: Depends: debconf-utils but it is not going to be installed
  E: Sorry, broken packages
  brain:~# apt-get install debconf-utils
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
  or been moved out of Incoming.

  Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely
  that
  that package should be filed.

    debconf-utils: Depends: debconf (>= 0.9.59) but it is not going to
    be installed
    E: Sorry, broken packages
    brain:~#

brain:~# ls /var/cache/apt/archives/debconf*
/var/cache/apt/archives/debconf_1.2.23woody1_all.deb
brain:~#

So debconf-utils needs debconf >= 0.9.59, but I appear to have 1.2.23.
Can someone please explain what is going on?

I suspect that the updated debconf might have been installed as part of
gnome 2.2 dependencies, but that's just a hunch, and anyway, it's a
later version than is required.

Antony