Bridged wireless AP and samba

I have a debian box acting as an AP, with a bog-standard bridge between the wlan0 and eth0. I can browse the internet and see machines in my internal network just fine, but am now unable to connect to samba shares from my windows xp box. I can try \\mysambabox or \\192.168.0.64 and both report the network location cannot be reached. If I connect the windows xp box through the wired interface instead of wireless, all is fine. Through wireless I am able to ping the samba box, ssh to it, connect my imap client to the imap server on it fiine etc, it's just samba not working. I've run nmap on a udp scan of the samba box from the AP and it just seems to hang; running the nmap scan from the samba box on itself comes up with netbios ports pretty quickly. So is there some complexity with briding and UDP, or the hostap driver and UDP? Does anyone have any pointers as to where the problem may lie? I've installed Debian testing with a custom 2.4.20 kernel and the hostap driver; I have a realtek8139 wired card and a Netgear MA311 wireless card. I have no iptables, no wep etc.
Thanks for any light you can shed,

James.

PS I don't know if this is related, but in a previous config I had two subnets (one wireless, one wired) with straightforward nat'ing between them - no other iptables lines. I had identical symptoms.