What good is Alien? (was Re: OT: why I don't want CCs)

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 13:44, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach MJM <linux-support@earthlink.net> [2003.07.16.1819 +0200]:
> > Go around your arse to scratch your elbow method:  build an RPM
> > and use alien to make a .deb from the .rpm.
>
> NO! do it right!

I wasn't serious, but after skimming the package maintainers guide to see
what the right way is I can see why alien would not be liked.  Why on earth
did the people deciding what packages to include allow the alien package to
be released?  It seems like instructions and tools for peeing in the pool.
--
Mike Mueller