Re: Needs some information

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 12:19, Irfan Novanda wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> I work as an IT professional in Jakarta, Indonesia. Until
> now, we use UNIX Operating system for our Server.
> we have an idea to throw UNIX OS out, and begin in using
> Free OS (LINUX).
> I'm very interested and have an idea of using DEBIAN as
> replacement of UNIX.
> i have question for you
> 1. Our server type is HP9000 L1000. does the debian
> distribute OS Debian for that kind type of machine? does
> the the DEBIAN have compatibility with our server machine
> (HP9000)?

Well, after spending half an hour digging about the HP site to find out
whether or not the HP9000 L1000 was a Precision Architecture (PA-RISC)
processor system (it is,) I found all the information you need at
http://www.debian.org/ports and http://www.debian.org/ports/hppa as well
as the link to http://parisc-linux.org which indicates that the L1000 is
supported - it almost reads as though the L1000/L2000 have been the
primary target.

> 2. if yes, how can we purchase the DEBIAN OS? because we
> want the Original one.

http://www.debian.org/CD/ and a computer with a CD burner will let you
get the CD images that you can then burn for the cost of your Internet
connection and the blank cd(s). While there are a multitude of servers
with the i386 CDs, including two in Indonesia, the availability of the
HPPA edition is rather more limited, although they can be retrieved from
http://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/debian-cd/images/hppa/ or
ftp://ftp.nara.wide.ad.jp/pub/Linux/Debian/debian-cd/hppa/ or
http://ftp.tku.edu.tw/OS/Linux/ISO-IMAGE/debian/3.0_r0/hppa/ while jigdo
can be used with
http://debian.linux.org.tw/debian-cd/current/jigdo/hppa/ to get the
specific packages you are aiming to install.

Another option is talk to your HP representative - Hewlett-Packard
appears to have been involved with the development of the HPPA edition
of Debian GNU/Linux, and they have been rather positive in much of the
company (although not absolutely all, reportedly) with respect to Linux.
Your HP Rep might be able to order up Linux CDs for you from

> Please give us an answer ASAP...
> Thank you for your kind attention...
>

> Irfan
> PT Trigunamegatama
> Jl. Inspeksi Saluran Kalimalang Blok B No. 25
> Jakarta, 13420
> Indonesia
> PH: 62-21-85905732/3
> Fax: 62-21-85909275
> mail : irfan_novanda@plasa.com
> "TELKOMNet Instan Divre VI Kalimantan memberikan DISKON PROGRESSIVE kepada para pengguna
> TELKOMNet-Instan hingga 50% mulai bulan Juli hingga September 2003."

HTH, I normally charge $60 Cdn for what work went into this answer.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org