Re: Cannot access CD packages

Hi Jianan!

Jianan Huang wrote:
> [...]
> Browsing through the Web, I came across a suggestion using the
> 'mount' command.
>
> mount -o loop /dev/hdc/debian-30r1-i386-binary-1.iso /cdrom

Err, no.

> /dev/hdc is the device for my cdrom drive

Right, it's the _device_.

> /cdrom is the mount point
>
> But I received the error message "debian-30r1-i386-binary-1.iso  is
> not a directory".

Which is probably true ;)

> When I use 'man mount' I find that there isn't any 'loop' available
> forthe -o option.
>
> Has it got to do with the kernal version? Any suggestion?

You need to have loopback support enabled in the kernel.

Mount the cdrom just as you'd do normally, then IIRC
mount -o loop -t iso9660 \
 /path_to_iso/debian-30r1-i386-binary-1.iso \
 /existing_new_mountpoint
This way you can check what is _in_ the iso.

Well, if you still want to get a working installation cd, read the
"FAQ about Debian CDs" for further clarification, especially
the part at
http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#record-unix

HTH,
Flo