Re: LaTeX vs. lout

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 06:50:25PM +0200, debian-user@lists.debian.org wrote:
> Vittorio [debian-user] <15/07/03 18:12 +0000>:
> > Has anyone of you debianists used the two typesetting systems?
> >
> > What are your impressions?
> >
> > Ciao
> > Vittorio
> >

> Sorry friends, I restate my question:
>
> I've been using latex and the likes (ConTeXt, LyX) satifactorily for a
> couple of years. Could you please contrast it with lout that I don't
> know at all? Any special advantage in using it?

It was quite some time that I used lout, but I thought I'd answer this
anyway ;)

(La)TeX has nicer fonts in general, especially for mathematical
formulae. It is however possible to use the TeX fonts with lout. I think
lout is more free than LaTeX since the main documentation is free, this
is a big plus point for a poor student. The free LaTeX documentation
that is available is pretty good, and it is sufficient for most people I
would guess, but if you need to make your own styles it becomes more
difficult to get by with it. One nice thing with lout is that it uses
postscript as its default output format.

All this said I have to confess that by now I have converted totally to
LaTeX, I bought two books and use it whenever I need to write something.

/M

--
Magnus Therning  mailto:therning@sourceforge.natlab.research.philips.com
PGP:0xD3BC7468  +31-40-2745179  http://pww.innersource.philips.com/magnus/

Nearly every electrical engineer believes deep in his heart that he is a
better at writing computer programs than any computer programmer, and can
show as proof the fact that he has written a number of small applications,
each of which was done quickly, easily, and exactly met his needs.