Controll/ Check VPN Tunnel?

Hi,
i need to setup an VPN LAN to LAN connection between two Debian 3.0 Server.
On server with static ip and one with dynamic ip. I think i have two
1) Create an continuous VPN tunnel or
2) Create an VPN tunnel only if needed.

Both options results in an problem for me. How can i automatic check the
tunnel and if
the check failed reestablish the tunnel (for example ISP disconnect).

And for option 2: How how can i prevent that both sides establish the tunnel
so that i have
two of them. I think routing could make a problem :-).

I have build already VPN tunnel using freeswan, so i´m running in these
problems.
It is possible? Maybe with another VPN solution?

Hope someone can give my some hints in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Stefan Drees