Re: Kernel building made easier

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, sudeep mukherjee wrote:
> I have a Celeron 600MHz with 40 GB Hard Disk.

Should be plenty fast for the majority of tasks (browsing, news, mp3s,
several video formats, etc)

> I already have WINXp(Sorry for this)

Don't be sorry for that, Windows XP has its place in the world.

> and RH9.0. Want to install Debian Woody. Anypointers would be welcome.

The exciting way would be to grab the netinstall floppys/cd images from
http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst[1], and then try to install
debian.

The boring route would be to read the installation manual at
http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#install, the GNU/Debian faq at
http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#faq, the Debian Reference/Quick
Reference at http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#quick-reference, and
the apt howto at http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#apt-howto.

One other note:  Many people skip dselect during the installation and
just use apt-get.  I'm not saying that its the right way of doing
things, just a popular way.  :)

~ Jesse Meyer

[1] If the machine is offline, try the complete cd images instead:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/cd

--
         icq: 34583382 / msn: dasunt@hotmail.com / yim: tsunad

   "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we
    pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr : Mother Night