Re: NP-complete whatever, solve the knapsack problem!

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 05:10, martin f krafft wrote:
> Scenario: 100 Files between 100-200Mb.
> Desired Result: These burned to CD in any order, so that to minimise
>   the number of CDRs
>
> Question: is there a tool to automate this?

When I've had very similar problems, I've created a 2 column file
with filenames and sizes, and import it into a spreadsheet.

Sort it by size descending, and start playing "best fit".  With
Cut-and-paste and sum(), it really goes pretty quickly.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |