Re: build kernel problem

Hello Jennifer!

Jennifer wrote:
> I used Debian 3.0 Woody CD set (7 of them) to install. And the
> kernel version is 2.2.20. For I need to install Oracle9i on this
> Debian, so I need to upgrade kernel to 2.4.xx I downloaded
> "kernel-image-2.4.21-2-386_2.4.21-2_i386.deb" from Debian site. And

Be aware that this is a package from Sid / unstable. It won't mix well
with your Woody, ie. it needs newer initrd-tools, newer modutils,
newer libc6...

As you just need kernel 2.4.xx why not simply doing
apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-386
or maybe choosing an optimized image?

If you didn't set up apt you can download the file from one of the
mirrors, but preferably use apt.

> I copied this image file to /usr/src/ Then I cd to /usr/src I ran
> the command " dpkg --install
> kernel-image-2.4.21-2-386_2.4.21-2_i386.deb". The console told me
> the following error message:
>
> You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version
> 2.4.21-2-386). but you do not seem to have a mkinitrd command in the
> path. This will break the installation. I am aborting now. Could not
> find mkinitrd in path at /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst line 165.dpkg:
> error processing /usr/src/kernel-image....(--install)
>
> So I used command of "find / -name mkinitrd". And there is no
> result. I also used "man mkinitrd", and it says no man entry for
> mkinitrd.
>
> In this case, what should I do?

Well, mkinitrd is in the aforementioned initrd-tools package. Using
apt it can be installed automagically while installing the
kernel-image.

> Your advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Just for what it's worth, also take a look at the Debian Reference at
http://qref.sourceforge.net/

HTH,
Flo