Re: OT: IDE/Bad Blocks: Call for mental assistance

I'd appreciate if you would not CC me, as I request in the
X-Followup-To header and the signature of each email.

> It could be a bad controller on the motherboard and
> it sounds like it.  You may be damaging hard drives with
> a bad mootherboard.

Right, but using five different machines?

> My disks seem to last for years, unless they
> are in drive pulling cases and overheat.

I am currently investigating overheating.

> Does badblocks write the list of badblocks to the
> hard disk so that it remembers badblocks from run to
> run and when you moved the hard drive?

No. In my experience, one bad block means that the drive is doomed
to accumulate more.

> I used to design disk drive electronics for a living at Quantum.

Quamtum is the only drive that hasn't borked on me yet. Thanks.

`. `'`

Invalid PGP subkeys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!