kernel.sem question

Hi, my name is Jennifer. I just started to learn Debian. During the installation of Debian 3.0 woody on my PC, I came across quite a lot of problems. And one of the questions I would like to have your precious advice is about kernel.sem

The kernel version of this Debian 3.0 release is 2.2.20.

I tried to check the values of sem ( I need to  change the SEMOPM value in order to properly install Oracle9i on Debian), so I used the command ( as instructed from Internet) "cat /proc/sys/kernel/sem", and the reply of the console is " No such file or directory".
Then I used the command " sysctl kernel.sem", the reply of the console is " error: 'kernel/sem' is an unknown key "

In this case, what should I do? Your advice will be highly appreciated.

Jennifer Z