Re: mysql on debian

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 00:51, Ross Tsolakidis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I run the mysql-server package on a debian box and webserver.
> Default installation, I've hardly changed anything except the root password  ;)
>
> All websites on there have no problems connecting to the database locally.
>
> If I create a database and user locally for another website that's located on another box in the same DMZ, they cannot connect.
> ERROR 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on .................
>
> There are no firewalls/routers in the way.  They are on the same switch.
>
> I've tried changing the user itself to allow any host, or that particular host, still no go.
> I've tested the username password a few hundred times locally, and it works fine.
>
> Does the default install in Debian not allow external queries ?
> Or have I missed something ?

The default setup for mysql does not allow outside connections. It comes
up as a debconf prompt, but I think it's set to low or thereabouts so it
might not come up always. I don't remember the exact filename, but I
believe it's mysql.conf. There's a line in there that either needs to be
commented or uncommented to enable external connections. Just look
through it and you should find it no problem. My server is down at the
moment so I can't give you more precise directions.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837