Re: New IDE drive dramatically slow system?

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 06:58:38AM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:

> get another ide controller for $10

Actually $45 was the cheapest one I could find locally.  Maxtor ATA/133,
which is really a Promise card.

And the advice was correct.  Once I got around to installing the thing,
speed returned to normal.  I have the boot drive on channel 1 of the
motherboard controller, my two CD drives on channel 2, and the Maxtor 40 gig
drive on channel 1 of the new controller.

In setting things up, I found EVMS, a wonderful utility if you don't know
which drive ended up as which device.  I recommend it to anyone installing
new drive controllers or drives.
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading