Re: Strange eth0 problem. Help!!!!

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:03:16 -0700 (PDT)
Bruce Banner <bruc3_banner@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Okay I only used the exclamation marks to get your
> attention.  My problem is that I had to change my IP
> address from dhcp to static to setup my dlink
> broadband router then I changed eth0 back to dhcp.
> Now upon rebooting my laptop if I don't have my cable
> plugged in it takes along time for it to get past the
> configuring network option.  Then the "Configuring
> Network Option" tries to ping 192.168.0.1 and has to
> timeout before the machine comes on up.  Where would
> the 192.168.0.1 be coming from??? My
> /etc/network/interfaces looks like this
> for eth0
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

You can't very well get an IP address via DHCP if you're not plugged in.

192.168.0.1 is probably the address of the DHCP server (your broadband
router).

If you don't want to wait for dhcp to time out you can press <ctrl><c> when
you see the "Configuring Network" message on the console. Since I'm usually
plugged in, that's what I do when I'm not.

Kevin