Re: IEEE 1394 (FireWire) on Debian

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 01:30:18PM -0500, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> Does anyone have any info to share about 1394 devices on Debian? I just
> ordered an external IDE enclosure with a DVD ROM drive that uses a 1394
> connection and am wondering how to proceed. I'm assuming (hoping) that
> it's not much more difficult than USB storage devices. i.e. Load a
> low-level 1394 driver module, load device specific (something akin to
> usb storage), and mount devices. Anything else I should keep in mind?

It's near identical. Since you have the USB stuff already working, you
don't have to mess around with SCSI stuff from scratch :)

Just compile the kernel (module or directly) for firewire, ohci1394, and
SBP-2 device support. If compiled as modules, load the modules and mount
the drive in the same manner you did the USB.

--
:wq!

  Matthew Daubenspeck
  http://www.oddprocess.org