Package installation for users?

Hi,

can a non root user 'install' a debian package in his home directory
(or somewhere else, locally)? Is there a default place (in a package /
on the web) to look for relocation information?

I'm not on the mailing-list myself, so please reply not (only) to the
list, but (also) to my personal email address. Thanx.

Usually a user has variants of /lib /bin /share in his home
directory. If he wishes to install some software, it would be great if
he could also just grab the package he likes (and possibly its
dependencies) and install it in its home directory. I read through the
'The Debian GNU/Linux FAQ', 'APT HOWTO' and searched the web, but did
not find anything on how to do that.

The installation of a 'user local' package must not affect the overall
system configuration.

As it seems, if I'm not root (which I'm not :-), I'm still stuck with
getting the source package (and possibly its dependencies) and
compiling that myself.

Is anyone else missing that feature (if it is missing)?

Thanks in advance,
Oliver

--
------------ DISCLAIMER: I do not speak for anyone but myself. ----------