Re: ATAPI CD-writer

Hello

cr wrote:

> On Friday 11 July 2003 04:11, Pigeon wrote:

>> Try apt-cache search kernel-image
>>
>> Most of the kernel-image packages are on CD 5 IIRC, so you need the
>> full set of CDs - I think if you've only got the first CD all you've
>> got is a source package and enough tools to build it.
>
> The first CD actually gives a choice when starting the install, of
> idepci, compact, vanilla or bf24, IIRC.   But they don't seem to be in
> deb package form.

Yes, they are in deb package form. Most of them are on the 5th CD (or
available via ftp). On my system, apt-cache search idepci says:

[pcmcia and header packages]
kernel-image-2.2.20-idepci - Linux kernel binary image.

Same for bf2.4 (kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4, the 2.4 kernel offered during
installation)

Next, I used apt-cache policy:

kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4:
  Installed: 2.4.18-5woody1
  Candidate: 2.4.18-5woody1
  Version Table:
 *** 2.4.18-5woody1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.4.18-5 0
        500 cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1 _Woody_ - Official i386
Binary-5 (20021218)] stable/main Packages
        500 ftp://ftp.debian.org woody/main Packages

You find the image files in the pool/main/k directory on the 5th CD. But a
word of warning: The kernel image files on the CDs (both r0 and r1) have
*security issues* that have been corrected in the newer packages on the
Debian servers. See
http://www.debian.org/security/2003/dsa-311 for more information.

Now back to your problem:

> Well now, lsmod, modprobe and insmod tell me that  ide-scsi and  sg  are
> present, but  sr_mod isn't:
>
> lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> sg                     14928   0  (unused)
> ide-scsi                7060   0
[more modules]

> # insmod sr_mod
> insmod: sr_mod: no module by that name found

It is possible that the kernel does not include the driver (the idepci
kernel definitely doesn't), but the driver could also be built into the
kernel, which is more likely. Maybe it is a bootloader configuration
problem (see below)

> And it isn't in any subdirectory of /lib/modules/2.2.20  either
>
> cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.

> And my Grub  /boot/grub/menu.lst file says
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.2.20
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel          /vmlinuz-2.2.20 root=/dev/hda5 hdb=ide-scsi ro
> savedefault

I searched google for "grub ide-scsi", and the third result was this one:
http://www.pcf.sinica.edu.tw/123/ide-scsi.html

It shows you a example configuration for grub with ide-scsi and has two
lines that say:
options ide-cd ignore=hdd
pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi

Maybe you should try that (the first line seems more important to me, if
you load ide-scsi via /etc/modules, the second one doesn't matter because
its purpose is to load ide-scsi automatically when sg is loaded)

> I suppose this means I need sr_mod?   I'm a little surprised the
> 'vanilla'
> kernel doesn't have it already, since it has sg and ide-scsi.    But I
> can't find sr_mod anywhere.

I didn't try the kernel, I think the driver is built into the kernel. Look
into the config file /boot/config-2.2.20. The following options should be
set to "m" or "y":
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI
CONFIG_SCSI
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG
I use kernel-image-2.4.28-bf2.4, and the sr_mod driver also is built into
the kernel and not built as a module. Yet ide-scsi works.

> I assume I *could* download and install a 2.4.16 or 2.4.18 kernel, but
> would
> this cause conflicts with all the stuff I already have installed?    I'd
> rather just download the sr_mod module from somewhere (if I could find
> it!) and install it with insmod than download a 8MB kernel image
> file.....

No, it would not be a problem. The debian kernel images all have different
names and their own module directory, so no conflicts will arise. You
only have to reconfigure you bootloader.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen