Re: Needs some information

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:19:29PM +0700, Irfan Novanda wrote:
> I work as an IT professional in Jakarta, Indonesia. Until
> now, we use UNIX Operating system for our Server.
> we have an idea to throw UNIX OS out, and begin in using
> Free OS (LINUX).
> I'm very interested and have an idea of using DEBIAN as
> replacement of UNIX.
> i have question for you
> 1. Our server type is HP9000 L1000. does the debian
> distribute OS Debian for that kind type of machine? does
> the the DEBIAN have compatibility with our server machine
> (HP9000)?

(Both "Linux" and "Debian" are written thus, by the way, not in all
capital letters.)

Yes, according to http://parisc-linux.org/hardware/supported.html, the
L1000 is supported (although I have no personal experience of it).
You're looking for Debian's "hppa" architecture. See
http://www.debian.org/ports/hppa/ and
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/hppa/install for more information.

> 2. if yes, how can we purchase the DEBIAN OS? because we
> want the Original one.

You do not need to purchase Debian; it is free. You can simply download
the installation system and packages from one of our mirrors and the
result will be just as original. However, if you would prefer to buy a
CD and install from that, then that is also possible thanks to a number
of third-party vendors.

See http://www.debian.org/distrib/ for information on getting Debian.

Regards,