Re: Kernel/lilo/initrd upgrade issue

Am Donnerstag, 10. Juli 2003 18:40 schrieb Greg Madden:

> Something I noticed installing a kernel I compiled without using the initrd
> stuff. I have been using the kernels provided by Debians archives. They do
> the prompt to add 'initrd=/initrd.img' to  lilo.conf. The prompt suggests
> adding to the actual stanza for the kernel. i.e image=/vmlinuz. When I
> install my own kernel, run lilo, the messages suggest everything is  okay,
> i.e. 'added Linux, Linux.old. This doesn't work because the
> 'initrd=/initrd.img' is in the 'image=/vmlinuz' stanza which now has my
> kernel without the initrd stuff. The Debian kernel with initrd is now in
> the 'image=vmlinuz.old' stanza  It seems that running lilo used to catch
> this type of mis-configuration though it has been awhile since I used my
> own kernels I could have forgotten something.
>
> This sequence leaves both kernels unable to boot the box, kernel panic
> error message. A question from all this: can I add  'initrd=initrd.img' as
> an option in lilo.conf but not in the stanza'a mentioned above ?
> - --
> Greg Madden

Hi,
I think that in such cases you could (should?) not use the /initrd.img symlink
and use the respective initrd 'directly', i.e. add the line

initrd=/boot/initrd.img-<your_kernels_initrd_here>

or make your own symlink such as /myvmlinuz and add that to  lilo.conf
instead, at least for your custom kernels.
That way, stock kernels will still install correctly, your custom kernels will
work (after creating the appropriate initrd, of course) and all that without
risking an unbootable box.

--
regards,
jochen