Re: vi Qustion

On 11 Jul 2003 12:23:21 +1000
Richard Heycock <rgh@roughage.com.au> wrote:
> The easiest way to do this is to type:
> A 		[insert at the beginning of the line]
> <text><ESC>
> j		[moves down one line]
> . 		[re-does the last command]
>
> This will work in both vi and vim.

    Ungh.  You're the second person to advocate the stupid home keys.  That
isn't easy.  Point me to a keyboard made in the last 20 years without them.
Hell, even my *PALM* keyboard has them!

    And you're wrong, that isn't the easiest way.  Assuming that all the text
is the entire file:

%s/\(.*\)/text\1/g

    If it isn't change the % to the appropriate range markers (which in vi I
am unfamiliar with).  In vim that would be V to start marking the entire lines
then just highlight the lines, then :s/\(.*\)/test\1/g.  vim will insert the
appropriate markers for the marked text ({,} iirc) for the range for s to use.