PHP + GD + Type 1 Fonts

Hi,

I've been trying to get PHP's GD functions (imagecreate etc) to draw text
using type 1 fonts, without much success.

I've tried both the stable and unstable releases of the php4 + php4-gd2
packages, and i've tried i.

The symptoms vary, between one of the 3 options:
 * PHP crashes with a segmentation fault
 * imagepsbbox returns false
 * t1lib returns error 3, which apparently probably means the font file is
bad. I was using one of the standard font files distributed with the
library!

Has anyone had success or failure drawing type 1 font strings with PHP + GD?
Is there a way of getting PHP/GD to use freetype instead of t1lib, without
recompilation? (not needing to recompile programs was one of the reasons I
switched to Debian!)

Thanks,
Sam