diacritic symbols in X

Can someone think of a reason why I can enter diacritic symbols
(e.g. ä [adiearesis, or A-Umlaut) on one machine straight into the
aterm 0.4.2-5 window, but it won't work on another machine with the
same aterm?

The keysym is generated (verified with xev), but it simply doesn't
show up. However, it does not seem to be a fonts problem either,
because I can enter them regularly with e.g. vim digraphs and they
show up.

It does work in mozilla and gaieon, as well as xedit. However,
I can't get them to work in e.g. jpilot.

Dazzed and confused,

--
Martin F. Krafft                  Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
Ph.D. Student                     Department of Information Technology

Invalid PGP subkeys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

why is lemon juice made with artificial flavour,
and dishwashing liquid is made with real lemons?