Re: Kernel module 'mga_vid' problem / XV problem

 --- Jakob Sandholm <sand@wanadoo.dk> escribió:
> Hello
>
> I have a Matrox Millennium G200 graphics card. When I use the XV
> extension, videos render scrambled. This does not happen with XSHM (but
> XSHM is too slow). Does anybody know what the problem is?
>
> As a solution, I tried installing 'mga-vid-source', I extracted it to
> /usr/src/modules, cd /usr/src/linux (2.4.19), and did 'make-kpkg
> --append-to-version -k7 modules_image' (I am using debian stock kernel).
> This creates a deb package, that I installed.
> Problem is 'depmod -a' yields 'Unresolved symbols in
> /lib/modules/2.4.19-k7/misc/mga_vid.o' and insmod fails with
> /lib/modules/2.4.19-k7/misc/mga_vid.o: unresolved symbol
> devfs_register_R3d389624
> /lib/modules/2.4.19-k7/misc/mga_vid.o: unresolved symbol
> register_chrdev_R35b33fbf
> /lib/modules/2.4.19-k7/misc/mga_vid.o: unresolved symbol
> devfs_unregister_R7cf195c4
>
> Can anyone help me with this?
>
> Kind regards
> sandholm
>
> please make a CC: to my email address, thanks!

Make sure that you are using _axactly_ the same version of gcc for the module
as for the kernel.  If you check your dmesg output, the very first line of
output should give you the kernel version, when/where it was compiled, and
the gcc version used.  This is what mine looks like:

Linux version 2.4.21-2.2 (root@toshiba-2805) (gcc version 3.3.1 20030626
(Debian prerelease)) #1 Tue Jul 8 01:31:11 EDT 2003

The easiest way to fix this, if you don't have the necessary version of
gcc readily available (i.e., you run stable and the kernel was compiled
with gcc 3.3), is download the source for your current kernel and unpack it.
Copy your /boot/config-x.x.xx to /usr/src/linux/.config (this way you
don't need to actually configure it), then execute:

'make-kpkg --append-to-version -k7 kernel_image modules_image'

and install the .debs.

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es