Re: Kernel Options for Dummies...

On Mon, July 07 at  5:22 PM EDT
Gary Singleton <gsinglet1@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi, I'm compiling a kernel using the docs provided at
>http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html and it's all
>good but is there a doc somewhere that explains the options in the
>kernel configuration better?  Especially helpful would be something
>that says 'don't say no to that one' or whatever.  Using make
>menuconfig if it makes a diff.
>
>TIA, G.S.

I haven't compiled anything since my current 2.4.20 but I was able to do
it just by reading the help sections for options.  It is a little
painstaking (ie. you enable one option and it opens a menu for many
suboptions ) but it was pretty clear.  I think if you have specific
hardware you need supported you should just look for info on that topic,
rather than something comprehensive for all kernel compiles.
HTH

Shawn Lamson
shawn.lamson@verizon.net
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0