Re: How should I do if I want to install a non .deb or .rpm package and..?

Zhao YouBing <zhaoyb@cad.zju.edu.cn> writes:

> I know if I don't use dpkg, the depence may be broken,
> many programs such as j2sdk, u can't get the deb package( I want to
> use the latest and don't want to use blackdown's)
>
> How should I do??

Install it under /usr/local; the packaging system won't touch it
there.  I'd try to avoid using local installs for things other
packages depend on.  For things like a JVM, you could install any
other JVM to satisfy dpkg's dependencies but repoint the links in
/etc/alternatives manually to use /usr/local/bin/java, etc.  You can
also use the equivs package to create an empty package and thereby
"lie" to dpkg about what it thinks is installed.

	-- Abra Mitchell