USB mouse not recognized till after gpm starts

I've got a Del Optiplex GX260 with a USB mouse. When I boot up, gpm starts before the USB mouse driver stuff kicks in, therefore gpm doesn't see the mouse. After I get logged in, I can then run "/etc/init.d/gpm restart" and the mouse works just fine.

How do I go about getting the mouse driver working before gpm starts? Is it just a matter of re-ordering the gpm script in /etc/rc2.d, or is there a more "proper" way, or what?

Thanks!

--
Kent