Re: Performance of a binaries vs source compliation!

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:15:39PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2003, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-07-05 at 18:43, Rthoreau wrote:
> > > I have been doing some research lately about the performance difference
> > > between binary packages, and those compiled from source.  From what I have
> > > learned so far their really is not a good tool to verify the difference.
>
> > <snip>
> > For 99% of cases its not worth it.
>
> yup.. usually not worth the time or $$$ to  for performance increase

I don't think this can be true unless you have a metered internet
connection. For an unmetered connection, the $$$ == 0. Debian source
packages are invariably compiled without error, so if your machine is
too slow to do compiles in the background while you work, you can just
compile while you're asleep from a cron job. The time involved is just
that to type 'dpkg -i newlybuiltpackage.deb', which is trivial. So
even if the resulting performance increase is minute, you haven't
actually lost anything in achieving it.

If the suggestion effect of compiling your own packages is enough to
make you think the machine's faster, it's still worth it...

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons