LILO --> GRUB

I've been successfully booting into Debian-3.0 using LILO.

Having used GRUB for many years on other systems, I decided to go
ahead and install/configure it.  Here (similar to what was suggested
by another poster) is what I did:

    # apt-get install grub
    # grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda
    # update-grub
    # <edit menu.lst>
    # update-grub

Unfortunately, when I reboot, LILO continues to get control instead of
GRUB.  Should 'grub-install' change the MBR?

I did the above *again*.  But this time, when I ran 'grub-install' it
ran 'grub' (which it hadn't done before!) but ended with a message
like:

        ... corrupt version of stage1/stage2

BTW, I'm using grub-0.91.2.

Ideas?