Re: can't ping lan

On Sunday 06 July 2003 16:57, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> Hi
> I'm trying to set up IP masquerading.  I had it set up under a previous
> install, but I can't get it going now.  The problem seems to be related to
> the fact that I can't ping the other computer on the LAN, the one that's
> going to be behind this one.  Everytime I try to ping, this is the output I
> get:
> $ ping hal10000
> PING hal10000 (172.17.0.2): 56 data bytes
> ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
> ping: wrote hal10000 64 chars, ret=-1
> ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
> ping: wrote hal10000 64 chars, ret=-1
> ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
> ping: wrote hal10000 64 chars, ret=-1

Try running ping as root. If that works:

Did you install bastille or some other security hardening tool? Ping needs to
be run setuid root to access raw sockets. Check with 'ls -l `which ping`'
whether the binary it setuid root. This is standard, but some of the
mentioned tools change it to improve security.

--
Got Backup?