Re: woddy-proposed-updates vs. security

Hello

Jonathan Matthews wrote:

> Just a quickie -
>
> Is there any difference between woody-proposed-updates and
> security.debian.org, for a stable machine?
>
> In other words, if I have stable and security in sources.list, am I
> missing out on /anything/ that's been updated by not having
> proposed-updates in there too?

There are indeed differences between the official security updates and
proposed updates. The proposed updates section contains packages, that will
probably be released with the next revision of Woody, among them security
updates, but also smaller bugfixes. However, there is no guarantee that any
of these packages (except the security updates) will actually be part of
the next revision. For example, there was an updated version of mozilla
(1.0.1) in the proposed updates section that never became part of Woody r1.

> In other, other words, does proposed-updates carry non-security
> related updates that wouldn't be distributed on security.d.o?

Yes.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--