RE: Very big files with tar

This email is subject to a disclaimer at the bottom of the message - please make yourself aware of its contents before reading the email

The responses given so far sound like they would work perfectly fine however
have you considered the possibility that it is not tar that is the limiting
factor but the base OS. 2Gb is roughly the file size limit of 'standard'
linux. You need to add Large File Support (LFS) for files bigger  than that.
We've been using G4U, a disc imaging application for doing bare metal
recovery of boxes and some (always Windoze bloatware) have bzipped images
greater than 2Gb. To overcome this limitation we had to add LFS.

Steve