Re: Network issue with WOODY

    "Robert" == Robert Webb <rwebb@ropeguru.com> writes:

    Robert> Hi all, I tried searching the archives with no luck. I
    Robert> have a standard load of Debian running and am constantly
    Robert> having problems with the network not responding when
    Robert> trying to connect to the box. No matter waht I try to hit,
    Robert> smtp ssh web, it will not respond unless I try and
    Robert> re-connect many times. Once on of the ports accepts a
    Robert> copnnection the rest start working also. It is almost like
    Robert> the NIC is going to sleep.

Do you  have trouble connecting *from* the box? If not, then the NIC
is probably not going to sleep.

What kind of network do you have. The symptoms you list typically
indicate a network problem. What error do you get when you try to
connect? Does it hang? Does it reject the connection? If you wait a
long time does the connection work out?

Is your system doing some sort of reverse DNS lookup? Make sure your
/etc/hosts file is good, and /etc/resolv.conf has hosts before bind.

I hope this gives you a couple of straws to clutch on. More
details would help us help you.

Cheers!
Shyamal