Re: Activating vim color?

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:53:57 -0400
"Derrick 'dman' Hudson" <dman@dman13.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 07:04:51AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> | Now if only there was a way to get the same color set between vim and
> | gvim.

> There probably is.

    If there is, I haven't found it.  Even going so far as to install color
sets which are supposed to be similar for both GUI and terminal they don't
match up.

> Since gvim has more colors available to it, the tags and comments in
> XML become different shades of blue (which really is much nicer) and
> quoted text in emails is a different color based on the depth of the
> quoting (which is neat too).

    Which is all fine and good.  However, what I am seeing is a complete
difference between GUI and terminal colors on a base install.  Additional
colors aren't that big of a problem.

    For example I load some sample Python code into vim and kgim (gvim didn't
start for some reason).  Here's the differences:

		vim		kvim
comments:	cyan		dark grey
import:		dark blue	light green
keywords:	yellow		yellow (shocker!)
quoted:		purple		cyan
normal:		white		white

    No changes from defaults yet aside keywords and normal text there isn't
even a passing resemblance between the two.

> At any rate, if you prefer something different then you can look
> through the manual and see how to choose different colors for
> different things.

    Trust me, I would if it were just some stupid toggle.  However, GUI vim is
not so important to me to have to go through and twiddle with a dozen or so
settings minimum just to get modes to compare.  Who knows, it might just work
for one mode and not another.  It just boggles me that on a default install
the base color maps should not match up with one another on more than 60-70%
of the mappings (at first glance).  That's the killer, I like the defaults for
the terminal and only want the GUI to match.  It doesn't seem unreasonable to
ask that on a default install they do just that.