Re: make-kpkg: permission denied making modules_image

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 17:13:41 -0500
David <dbree@duo-county.com> wrote:

> I noticed one oddity myself..  I've just been working with make-kpkg, and
> noticed in the output, that when it tried to delete (I think) and
> re-install the debian directory, that if I used --rootcmd fakeroot, it
> reported that it couldn't, but if I used "fakeroot make-kpkg..." that all
> went well..  Perhaps the --rootcmd doesn't work as expected?

I think you unwittingly mentioned the key -- "as expected".

When you specify --rootcmd on the make-kpkg command line, make-kpkg calls
fakeroot (or whatever) at certain points in the script.

When you do "fakeroot make-kpkg ..." make-kpkg itself runs under fakeroot,
so a root environment is provided whenever necessary, instead of "as
expected" by make-kpkg's author.

Kevin