Re: GRUB problem

On Saturday 28 June 2003 23:37, ajlewis2@intac.com wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > [The details - I installed GRUB in accordance with
> > /usr/share/doc/grub/README.Debian -
> >
> > 1.  grub-install --root-directory=boot  /dev/hda
> >
> > 2.  Ran  update-grub
> >
> > 3.  Checked /boot/boot/grub/menu.lst and didn't need to change a thing -
> > the significant lines (leaving out all the comments) are:
> >
> > title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.2.20-idepci
> > root		(hd0,0)
> > kernel		/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci root=/dev/hda1 ro
> > savedefault
> >
> > In /boot I have (amongst other files left over from lilo)
> >
> > -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       224124 Jun 21 23:05
> > System.map-2.2.20-idepci
> > -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         3888 Jun 21 23:05
> > config-2.2.20-idepci -rw-------    1 root     root        17408 Jun 21
> > 23:50 map
> > -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       665509 Jun 21 23:05
> > vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci
> >
> > In /boot/boot/grub  I have  (put there by grub-install) *all* the
> > stage1_5 flavours, including
> >
> > -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           60 Jun 21 23:06 device.map
> > -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         7904 Jun 22 00:10 e2fs_stage1_5
> > -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         2392 Jun 22 00:10 menu.lst
> > -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          512 Jun 22 00:10 stage1
> > -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        95712 Jun 22 00:10 stage2
> >

> > None of those look like symlinks to me.   Have I got root set right in
> > menu.lst,  as  /dev/hda1? Should it be /dev/hda5?   Seems unlikely to be
> > the cause
> > since the boot menu or 'booting in 5 seconds' message never comes up and
> > I wouldn't expect that root setting to take effect until after the menu..
> >
> > Chris
>
> I tried using grub at home this morning and see that I was wrong in what I
> posted about using /boot/vmlinuz-xx.  So I'm going to post what I have here
> that is working.  I have a separate /boot partition.  I have the same files
> that you have above and they are the same size except my device.map is a
> tad smaller.  These files are, however, all in  /boot/grub and not in
> /boot/boot/grub.  I already had them installed and can't tell you how I did
> it for sure.  I was playing with grub a long time ago when I was trying out
> the HURD.  Anyway, I think the person who suggested moving the files to
> /boot/grub was correct.
>
> Here are the sections of menu.lst and fstab that pertain:
>
> -------menu.lst--------
> title		Win4Lin
> root		(hd0,1)
> kernel		/vmlinuz-win4lin-2.4.20 root=/dev/hdb5 ro
> savedefault
>
> ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
>
> -------etc/fstab
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
>
> /dev/hdb5	/	     ext2  defaults                0   	1
> /dev/hda2       /boot        ext2  defaults        0		0
>
> I put a floppy in and ran 'grub-install /dev/fd0' and the floppy then

Now there's my problem.   What works for everybody else doesn't seem to work
for me  <grin>

> So as far as I can tell, the changes to be made on this initial posting
> should be
> 1. put the grub stuff in /boot/grub
> 2. change the kernel line so that it says root=/dev/hda5
>
> And my guess is that you have already tried this.  I guess I would try
> installing it on a floppy after making sure those two things are in place.
> Also be sure that the kernel line does not have the /boot in front of the
> kernel.

I've tried it both ways, in fact.   i.e. with the stuff in /boot/grub *and*
in /boot/boot/grub.

> I looked at 'info grub' and there was next to no information on
> Troubleshooting Stage 1.5.  There were error messages for Stages 1 and 2.

According to the Grub manual, stage 1.5 errors are the same as for stage 2.
(I found the manual by Googling, probably on the Gnu site but I'm afraid I
didn't make a note of it).

> I apologize for the wrong information earlier.
>
> Anita

Not at all.   All information gives a clue as to where to look.

Anyway, thanks all for the information.   Obviously there's something very
odd about my setup which doesn't respond as it ought.  For now I can live
with boot floppies and I'll find the Grub list, maybe they can suggest
something.

cr