Re: release source code

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 11:35, Fabio Miranda Hamburger wrote:
> Hi, I would like to know Where Can I get the linux debian source code? All
> I can see are binaries. I need the full directory in a ftp serfver (ej:
> ftp.debian.org)
>
> By the way, I have found Linux instalation annoy, so much warning and
> explication of what is going on, a lot of questions, that should be
> optional, I dont know how frequent linux users deal with that. freebsd
> style is so polite, brief, direct, coherent.
>
> regards,
>

> ---
> Fabio Andres Miranda
> Ingenieria de sistemas informaticos
> Universidad Latina - Costa Rica

If you have Debian installed, and the necessary deb-src lines in your
sources.list, then "apt-get source <package>" will do the deed.

If not, a quick look around under http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/
turns them all up - for each package you'll find a
foo-version.orig.tar.gz, which are the upstream sources, and a
foo-version.diff.gz to 'debianize' the sources.

As to the installer, check the archives for a recent, and rather lengthy
thread, named simply "debian". Almost all opinions and viewpoints have
already been discussed in some length. In short, FreeBSD caters for x86
- Debian (Stable) released to 11 architectures (and there's more in the
works: http://www.debian.org/ports/ ). The complexity is directly
releated to the complexity of the task at hand.

Regards,
 Shaun.