Re: Backup XP box to Debian system

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 09:15:08PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> Question:  I have a Windows-based laptop. (I need to run Windows
> software for business, no harassment please.)  I would like to back
> it up, before converting it to dual boot Debian/XP.
>
> Can anyone recommend a backup package from the Debian (Testing)
> archive that can back up an XP-based system, with provision for a
> full recovery?

I use samba to serve all of the "My Documents" folders to my WinXP box.
That way all my data is always on my Debian box and can be backed up
using standard *nix backup programs.  As for all the other stuff on
WinXP, it's been my experience that windows boxes need to be totally
reinstalled from scratch every 12 months in order to remove all the junk
that somehow gets left on the hard drive (spyware, virus artifacts,
programs that didn't fully uninstall).

- Ryan