3c59x.o && kernel 2.4.18

I'm running debian woody on a AMD Athlon and compiled a new kernel
(2.4.18) from kernel.org
Menuconfgig goes fine, and so does the compilation process. When I boot
up the new kernel, everything seems to be working except for my NIC. I have
a 3Com 3C905B-TX (3c59x.o) and it does work with my 2.2 kernel.
I've tried compiling support for the card into the kernel: Network
Device Support --> Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) --> 3Com cards --> 3c590 >
3c5900
series ... "Vortex Boomerang" Support
I've tried installing it staticly to the kernel (y) but also tried using
it as a module (m), but each time, when I boot up into the completed kernel,
the same thing. Module loads fine during startup, but cant ping anything,
eth0 gets no ip from DHCP, and the static IP config fails also.
Tried just going ifdown then ifup, made sure module loads, took module
off etc etc etc a few times, nothing.
Is there something I should be enabling that I'm not? What is it I'm not
checking ?!
please help me before i'm loosing my mind;-)

*alex