locale not supported by C library

Since I upgraded from potato to woody, I've started getting _lots_ of these warnings in my ~/.gnome-errors file:

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

OK, it's just a warning, but it's new, and I just wonder

 a) If I need to fix it to avoid _real_ problems later
 b) If so, how do I fix it?

I wasn't aware that I changed anything locale-specific during the upgrade, apart from the recommended 'apt-get install locales util-linux', but I'm fairly sure I just accepted the defaults everywhere, so that shouldn't have broken anything.

 // \\
/(   )\
< hugge >